Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A 'bunch' of reviews


Rotters by Daniel Kraus


Joey’s mother unexpectedly dies, well I guess it isn’t exactly unexpected, Joey has been imagining her death for years. Trying to save her from it, and then one day, she is gone.  Joey is left with a friend until his social worker finds his long lost father.  His mother never even spoke about him now he is supposed to leave the only home in the only town he’s ever known and live in Iowa? Really, he has never been out of Chicago.
Welcome to the small town of Bloughton, Iowa where Joey’s dad, “The Garbage Man”, doesn’t even meet him at the bus station and leaves him home alone for days without food or a real bed.  School life quickly goes downhill and Joey decides to find out where his dad goes for days at a time and why he smells so bad. This is a very dark and unexpected story. I am really not sure who I would recommend this book to…



 The Bloggess presents "Let's pretend this never happened (A mostly true memoir) by Jenny Lawson aka The Bloggess

This book was recommended to me by the teen librarian and I have to say, I laughed so hard at the end of chapter two I had to reread it.
Ms. Lawson has a fowl mouth and is the funniest ever! Maybe I would not recommend this one to my mother but my BFF's will definitely be hearing about this one.
Plus, I SWEAR, I think I know her. Really!!!




The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

Calling all witch fiction lovers, this is a witch fiction well done, the magic is subtle even though the setting is Salem Mass. The family is well known in the community and own "Yellow Dog Island".  Yellow Dog Island is now a refuge for abused women and is the setting for "Towner" and her childhood. The women of Yellow Dog Island are lace makers and Towner's aunt is a lace reader. Like a fortune teller but by reading the patterns in lace.
This book has a murder, missing persons, witches, cults and an intricate history.
The story is told in both first and third person and will keep you guessing until the very end.
I really liked this book, almost as much as Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen.


Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore

A hysterical art history fiction. In true Moore fashion he destroys art history while creating a cast of characters that are engaging and entertaining. The story covers a lot of art history, famous paintings, historical settings, and imaginary conversations. It holds love, romance, sex, politics, and war. A super fun charmer!





So,what are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the sound of the Lace Reader. I will have to check it out at my local library! :)

    ReplyDelete