Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Technology in the Classroom


I was recently asked to write an essay about technology in the classroom.
This lead me to think about how technology is affecting our children and how they will interact with their future and what is our role as parents and teachers to influence this type interaction?
I currently work in a public library and see very small children clicking away on the children's computers complete with touch screens. Did someone sit down and show them how to make the games work? How about smart phones? There are countless videos of very small children playing with iPhones, iPads, Androids, PSP, DSi, Wii, Xbox and the list goes on and on. Are they born with this knowledge? Do they absorb it in utero through some sort of osmosis? What about children who do not have access to technology outside of schools?
I love change, I love challenges, I love to learn new things, but I also love correct grammar, teaching my children to use logic and to think for themselves instead of believing the first piece of information they are presented with, and I love polite manners. All this is to say; I believe our children are exposed to this technology from birth, like verbal communication and reading facial expressions. It is our responsibility to engage and introduce our children/students to technology and instill the necessary values to ensure they are still capable of face to face communication and that they have the tools to move, create, produce, and communicate in this new 21st century world.

Watch this video I found on you tube Engage Me! and tell me, do you let your elementary school student blog, podcast, vodcast, or even text? Should we? Should schools require this or should be left as an option, like a report or a presentation?
Please, tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment